- Salary/Pay Rate:$43,404 / Annually
- Posted Date:01/11/2018
- Deadline to Apply:01/22/2018
The Village of Oak Lawn is currently seeking qualified applicants for the full-time union position of Maintenance Worker which may be in Streets, Water or Sewer divisions.
General Statement of Duties: Performs general semi-skilled manual labor and related work as required.
The following requirements are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Because it is in the best interest of the taxpayers to receive services at the lowest possible cost, other tasks as from time to time assigned shall be deemed to be included in this position description
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The work of this classification is of routing semi-skilled nature. The duties require efficient performance of assigned tasks which involve heavy physical labor. Sufficient strength and agility are required to perform manual tasks for prolonged periods. Maintenance Worker works under the immediate supervision of Crew Chiefs that lay out the details of each specific assignment and then monitor’s the progress until completion. The flexibility to respond to emergency twenty-four (24) hour shift requirements during off shift hours is a must. May require a twenty-four (24) hour “on-call” status for snow removal in accordance with Village of Oak Lawn policy and procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (illustrative only)
- Operates vehicles and performs snow and ice removal tasks
- Performs a variety of tasks involving: pavement repair and maintenance; tree trimming and removal; loading and unloading of stone, dirt, asphalt and heavy mechanical equipment.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of storm and sanitary sewers
- Performs maintenance and repair of water mains; water services; water valves; and fire hydrants
- Must be able to lift an object of forty-five (45) pounds and move it twenty (50) feet.
- Ability to sit, stand, and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must have the physical health and ability to work in all kinds of weather conditions.
- Must have the physical ability to function effectively in varied terrain, i.e., hilly, unpaved, in trenches, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
Must speak, read, and write the English language fluently. Applicant must be in good physical condition, possess mechanical aptitude and a willingness to learn.
Experience and Training
Experience as a mechanic, plumber, carpenter, electrician, painter or semi-skilled tradesman, or equivalent related experience a plus. Applicant must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent; must possess a valid Illinois Drivers License, a CDL Class A is a plus but not required; but must be able to obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class A , and successfully complete and receive certification in the following FEMA Classes. ICS100, ICS200 during /after a 12 month probation period.
Starting salary is $43,404; plus benefits.
Resume with cover letter only to:
Village of Oak Lawn
Attn: Human Resources
9446 S. Raymond Ave.
Oak Lawn, IL 60453
Deadline for cover letter and resume is Monday, January 22, 2018.
The Village of Oak Lawn is seeking qualified applicants, without regard to sex, race, color or ethnic origin – an Equal Opportunity Employer.