Frozen Water Lines
Ruptured water lines can cause extensive damage to a home. During the winter, home owners should take precautions to prevent water lines from freezing. Here are some simple tips to protect your home.
- Seal cracks in doors, windows and foundations. Small openings concentrate cold air creating a cold blow torch that can quickly freeze pipes.
- Open cabinets and closets that contain water lines to allow warm air to circulate around the plumbing.
- Allow cold water to drip through faucets. Running or dripping water can help prevent water lines from freezing, however, even running water can freeze in sub-zero temperatures.
- Consider installing water pipe insulation. Local building supply stores carry a number of products designed specifically for this purpose. If you decide to use a heat tape, be sure it has the UL seal of approval.
- Check pipe insulation periodically to make sure that it is dry. Wet insulation can be worse than no insulation